Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Best of the Harveyville Fun Times

The Best of the Harveyville Fun Times

By Mark Arnold and Various

Review by Dennis Feeback

The Scoop: A sampling of the best material from the long-running "Harveyville Fun Times!" fanzine featuring articles about various Harvey Comics characters such as Casper, Richie Rich, Hot Stuff and Sad Sack.

The Package: What we have is a nice thick BIG book. The front and back covers are nice especially the back cover by Ernie Colon. Like the fanzines it reprints the typeface is literally all over the place, but this was a conscious decision by the editor to faithfully reprint the ‘zines in their original form.

Also of note, this was book was printed by Lulu.com and I must say they do fine work.

Final Thoughts: After reviewing the Harvey Comics Classics volumes from Dark Horse, I was definitely in a Harvey frame of mind. I happened upon Mark’s site, http://thft.home.att.net/ , and was overwhelmed with all the info on Harvey Comics. Mark was kind enough to send me a copy of this fine book.

And I am so glad he did.

This is such a wonderful resource for Harvey characters and history. As this is a reprint volumes of various issues of marks ‘zine, there is a lot of material between these covers, and all of it is informative and entertaining. I learned all kinds of facts I never know about the company that shaped my childhood. There are issue guides, character profiles, company history, and MUCH more. If you sre any kind of Harvey fan, you NEED this book. My HIGHEST possible recommendation.

Final Rating: A+, Invaluable if you’re a Harvey fan. Interesting if you’re just interested in comics history. Impressive.

No comments: